Saturday, March 9, 2013

Entry 2_Phan Thị Hải Yến


ENTRY 2
ITEM 1: “I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke” Advertisement



Components
Contents
1
Source
Coca-Cola
2
Target Audience
Every viewer
3
Medium (Media)
TV – Broadcast advertising
4
Context
This is a restored version of the famous "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" ad from 1971. Called the "Hilltop" ad at the time, it is recognized as one of the most beloved and well-known commercials in history. The commercial was highly popular and was part of the 1971 "It's the Real Thing" campaign. It has been consistently celebrated as one of the most memorable and iconic spots in advertising history.
5
Objectives
Affective
6
Messages
General Selling
Proposition
It’s the real thing.
Product Attributes
It is suitable for everyone and it makes people from all over the world closer to each other.
Customer Benefits
Happiness.
Personal Values
Pleasure, happiness.
7
Message Execution
Description
Many young people from all over the world assemble and stand on a hilltop in Italy. Each person holds a Coca-Cola bottle from his/her own country and sings together happily.
Execution Style(s)/
Rhetorical Device(s)
Musical (People sing the song ‘I’d like to buy the world a Coke’)
Image (People from all over the world)
8
Evaluation
Personally, I think this advertisement is effective, meaningful and impressive.


ITEM 2: “Heineken Walk-In Fridge” advertisement



Components
Contents
1
Source
Heineken
2
Target Audience
Men
3
Medium (Media)
TV – Broadcast advertising
4
Context
Walk in Fridge is launched in late December 2008 in Netherlands.
5
Objectives
Affective
6
Messages
General Selling
Proposition
Serving the planet.
Product Attributes
Fresh, cool.
Customer Benefits
Refreshment.
Personal Values
Excitement, happiness, pleasure.
7
Message Execution
Description
A young woman shows three friends her walk-in wardrobe in an apartment cheering. Immediately, the women scream in exhilaration. However, they are soon drowned out by the louder scream with excitement of four men in the walk-in fridge filled with bottles of Heineken.
Execution Style(s)
Rhetorical Device(s)
+ Execution Styles :
-         Humorous (The screams of the women and men).
-         Mood: Excited, surprising and overwhelming emotion of people.
+ Rhetorical Device: Overstatement (The number of clothes, shoes and Heineken bottles).

8
Evaluation
Personally, I think this advertisement is outstanding, effectively, impressive and interesting.


ITEM 3: “Australia Post” advertisement



Components
Contents
1
Source
Australia Post
2
Target Audience
Every viewer
3
Medium (Media)
Printed advertising (In a defense force magazine)
4
Context
Released in May 2007 in Melbourne, Australia.
5
Objectives
Affective
6
Messages
General Selling
Proposition
If you really want to touch someone, send them a letter.
Product Attributes
Connective, effective.
Customer Benefits
Keep in touch with beloved ones.
Personal Values
Happiness, pleasure.
7
Message Execution
Description



The background of the advertisement is a letter filled with dear words. A girl is embracing tightly the unreal man which is shaped by that letter. The girl smiles happily as if she was really hugging the man. A slogan: ‘If you really want to touch someone, send them a letter” and a logo of Australia Post are at the bottom of the advertisement.
Execution Style(s)/ Rhetorical Device(s)
Fantasy (The shape of the man)
Mood (Happiness of the girl)
Image (The shape of the man)
8
Evaluation
Personally, I think this advertisement is eye-catching, effectively, impressive and unique.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Yen,
    To tell the truth, your entry is the one I like the best. Both the advertisement and your understanding are in lines with mine. Besides, you have posted variety of clip advertising mediums, which interested me very much.
    However, I have just some small things for you to consult.
    First, it is freshness and coolness in your Attributes column. I can see that, people in the clip are quite excited, and the viewers can infer the reason for this, which is the good taste of Heineken Beer. Therefore, I think you should reconsider it, shouldn't you?
    Second and lastly, Mood is not really an Execution Style of Australia post Advertisement, because it is quite a small detail and doesnt have big influence on the purpose of the advertisement.
    Those are all of my idea, wish it worked for you. If you find something in my comments confused, feel free to reply, we will have deeper discussion.
    Once again, thank you for giving me a chance to see such interesting advertisements!
    Best,
    Nguyen Thi Nguyet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, your entry is very interesting. I quite agree with you about the content, but there are still something that I want to discuss with you more:
    First, I think in "general selling proposition" part I'd like you to describe in more details rather than only mention the slogan of the company.
    Second, in item 2 you wrote that customer benefit is refreshment, but I don't see the refreshment in this advert. I only see their excitement. Besides, I don't think overstatement is used when there are a lot of shoes, clothes and Heineken bottles. I think it's possible to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Yen,
    The first thing I want to tell you is that I really enjoyed your entry for its contents and messages. However, personally, I also have some comments as followed.
    For the first item of Coke, I think that product attribute is good taste, and making people throughout the world closer to each other is belonged to benefits that people will gain. Besides Coke raise solidarity among people especially when they are trying to sing together, share Coke with the others and teach them to sing the song and fell 'the real thing' in life. Let’s move on to the second item, from watching the advertisement, I quite confused of the slogan you wrote above ‘serving the planet’. Could you please give me more details on how can they provoke that message? Moreover, one of other values I would like to add is satisfaction( when all men are shouting, they express a high satisfaction and even more than that). About the third one, I totally agree with what you mentioned. I hope that my comments are really useful for you. In all, you ‘ve done a good job.congrats! ^^"!
    Best,
    hoangtrang

    ReplyDelete