Monday, February 4, 2013

Entry1_Nguyen Thi Thoan


Name: Nguyen Thi Thoan
Class: 11e12

                                             Entry 1


                                               Part 1: a poem

If You Forget Me 
by Pablo Neruda

I want you to know
one thing.

You know how this is:
if I look
at the crystal moon, at the red branch
of the slow autumn at my window,
if I touch
near the fire
the impalpable ash
or the wrinkled body of the log,
everything carries me to you,
as if everything that exists,
aromas, light, metals,
were little boats
that sail
toward those isles of yours that wait for me.

Well, now,
if little by little you stop loving me
I shall stop loving you little by little.

If suddenly
you forget me
do not look for me,
for I shall already have forgotten you.

If you think it long and mad,
the wind of banners
that passes through my life,
and you decide
to leave me at the shore
of the heart where I have roots,
remember
that on that day,
at that hour,
I shall lift my arms
and my roots will set off
to seek another land.

But
if each day,
each hour,
you feel that you are destined for me
with implacable sweetness,
if each day a flower
climbs up to your lips to seek me,
ah my love, ah my own,
in me all that fire is repeated,
in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten,
my love feeds on your love, beloved,
and as long as you live it will be in your arms
without leaving mine


Rhetorical devices: repetition (if)
Message: this poem is about a sad love story, a pain of  the separation. They have broken up but not over. The poet can not wait for his darling to make up her mind and he must “seek a new land”.



                                                Part 2: a picture


                             
                             



Guideline:
People at the door: the real society
The computer: virtual society



Message: Nowadays, many people, especially the young, are spending too much time, emotion on facebook, a virtual society. They think that it is a good way to show their value. And, they ignore the surrounding people, who are real friends at the real society.


                                              Part 3: a video















Guideline:
The ball, the cell phone, the briefcase are many kinds of opportunities on your way.



Message: receiving new things on the way of development is very important. However, it is not good if we are too greed. So, remember that sometimes perfection is not good.





7 comments:

  1. Dear Thoan
    I like your entry very much especially item 2. it reflects the fact that people are spending too much time in virtual society and becoming "facebook addicted". i totally agree with the rhetorical devices listed; however, I think the message of this item can be : more modern lives we live more breaks in our traditional relationships
    this is my own opinion. hope you refine your entry before submitment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear thoan,
    i have read your entry and you did your item 1 well but i have some small suggestions:
    in the second item, it uses metaphor for people at the door and computer, moreover, it also uses irony
    the message of the third item is also that picture illustrate the lifetime, pp all have new experiences, new challenges to be more mature
    i hope that my comment is useful for your entry!
    commented by: Vu Thi Gam

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thoan,
      After reading your entry, i have some comments for you here:
      First, about the item 1. It's such a sad poem about the pain of separation. However, in my opinion, it's format is difficult to understand and see clearly. It's just like telling and that's the reason why it makes you feel complicated to point out the message.
      Secondly, i have to say that i really like this meaningful picture because it shows the real situation of some modern people nowadays. They put virtual world before real world while they can't realise which is more important and which is more REAL.
      Thanks for reading this. Hope these things will be useful for you! :)

      Delete
  4. hi Thoan,
    i have some comments on your entry:
    - item 1: besides repetition, the author also used overstatement in the sentence: 'if I touch near the fire the impalpable ash or the wrinkled body of the log, everything carries me to you', metaphor (you - the wind of banners) and rhyme in the way of using the words 'little', 'love'. and i think that the message here is about the love of the author to his beloved and his willing to sacrifice for her even though she left him.
    - item 2: this picture is quite interesting. it also used irony to talk about the situation that people especially the youth are now make friends through virtual network more than usual. and in my opinion, the message can be: the more people add virtual friends, the more distance they will get with their real friends.
    -item 3: it would be better if you showed me the metaphor here ( what do the ball, cellphone, briefcase stand for?) i agree with your message.
    in sum, you've done a god job! congrat!
    commented by: hoang trang

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Thoan,
    Your entry 1 is very various and lively with a poem, a cartoon and a video. I have some comments for you. In my opinion:
    - Item 1:
    Message: In love, if people give something, they will receive it.
    - Item 2:
    Rhetorical devices: Metonymy(people at the door: the real society, the computer: the virtual society)
    - Item 3:
    Rhetorical devices: Metaphor( the dices, the ball, the mobile phone, the briefcase and the tombstone are stages in people life)
    I only find that this video only mention the life cycle of the human without any special messages and I don't a gree with the message you gave because it doesn't relate to perfect in life.
    Do better next time!
    Commented by Bui Thi Xuan Huong

    ReplyDelete