Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Entry 1_Phan Thị Hải Yến


Entry 1
Item 1: Poem


Sonnet 116: Let me not to the marriage of true minds
By: William Shakespeare

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever-fixèd mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved. 


Rhetorical devices:
·         Rhyme:
ü  Perfect rhyme: minds – finds, mark – bark, shaken – taken, cheeks – weeks, be – me, never – ever.
ü  Imperfect rhyme: doom – proved.
·         Repetition: love (Love is not love, love’s not time’s fool, love alters not with his brief hours and weeks), alter (Which alters when it alteration finds), remove (Or bends with the remover to remove).
·         Alliteration: his height, compass come, but bears, nor no.
·         Assonance: ‘Admit impediments’
·         Metaphor: love is ‘an ever-fixèd mark’ and love is ‘the star’ emphasize the constancy of true love.
·         Symbol: rosy lips and cheeks (a girl).

Message: True love is constant and everlasting in spite of the corrosive power of time, changes and difficulties.


Item 2: Fable

The Dog and the Shadow


A DOG, crossing a bridge over a stream with a piece of flesh in his mouth, saw his own shadow in the water, and took it for that of another Dog, with a piece of meat double his own in size. He immediately let go his own, and fiercely attacked the other Dog to get his larger piece from him. He thus lost both: that which he grasped at in the water, because it was a shadow; and his own, because the stream swept it away.

Rhetorical devices:
·         Metaphor:
ü  The Dog (person who is greedy in real life)
ü  Flesh (things that the person has)
ü  The Shadow (person’s cupidity)

Message: Be satisfied with what we have. Greed can often make us lose everything we have in hand. 



Item 3: Cartoon



Rhetorical devices:
·         Metaphor:
ü  The skinny boy (the poor)
ü  The obese man (the government)
·         Rhetorical question: ‘Where is poor?’
·         Irony: The contrast between the skinny boy and the obese man. The obese man has such a very fat stomach that he cannot see the poor kneeling down nearly in front of him.

Message: The poor people are on the verge of starvation and they beg for help; however, the government neglects them.


Sources: 





1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your entry impresses me a lot. It's so well-prepared. You are so meticulous.
    I have some comments below about your items:

    1. I really like the poem you chose for item 1. And the way you analyzed it is very detailed and easy to understand.

    2. Item 2 is a short story. I'm a little bit lazy so I really like short story like that. Although it's short but it's still so meaning full. I mostly agree with you about the rhetorical devices; however, I have don't really concur with your message.Actually, if the message just had the second sentence, I would like it more. I myself find the message is that: Don't be TOO greedy, especially when it belongs to others (or "If you covet all, you may lose all.")

    3. The 3rd item is also meaningful. I just think that there is one more irony here. That is: The obese man is using binoculars to look for the poor but he can't see the poor boy under his fat stomach.
    let me make it clearer. I mean the irony is between the binoculars and the fact that the obese man doesn't see POOR. And besdies, the poor is just very near him but he keeps looking for them in long distances.

    That all my opinions about you entry.
    I have to say one more time that it's interesting and I relly like it.
    Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete