Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Entry1_Lê Thị Thu Hiền


Entry 1_ Lê Thị Thu Hiền
                                    
Item 1: Poem
                                     
Treasures We Own

Stacey Smith

When my hand is wrinkled so,
it's you that I will still want you know.
As my hair turns silver and gray
remember me as I was yesterday.
My long red hair blowing in the breeze,
we loved each other with ease.
Now in the park your hand I hold,
you keep me war
m as it turns cold.
We sit on a bench and feed the birds,
not a single word needs to be heard.
Remembrances of years gone by,
we both smile...we both sigh.
Remembering our first glance,
and for hours how we danced.
The flowers you gave to me for no reason,
and the little things you did every season,
made me a believer in true love.
The kind that's been blessed from above.
Our children have grown and left our home,
all those memories we now own.
A treasure of love is between two hearts,
nothing has ever torn them apart.
Our love has stood the test of time,
we are still together our souls entwined.
Until the day we shall pass from here,
eternally we are one soul my dear.


Rhetorical devices:

·        Rhyme: so- know, gray- yesterday, hold- cold, by- sigh, glance- danced, reason- season, love- above, here- dear.
·        Metaphor: silver and gray ( become old ), smile ( be happy), sigh (be miserable), both smile and both sigh ( both share everything in the life ) , flowers( love),
·        Message: a real love can both share and come over the difficulties and challenges in life to have a happy family from the beginning to the end.



                                        Item 2: Cartoon Picture Story
                                             
                                                The Lion and Mouse


Rhetorical devices:

·        Metaphor: lion ( powerful person), mouse ( normal person), hunters  ( challenges )
·        Message: If you do something kind for someone, they’ll do something kind back because everything has its own value. People having different from each other at many respects  can become good friends.


Item 3: Story
Story Of Two Seeds
        

               
Two Seeds lay side by side in the fertile spring soil.

The first seed said, "My dream is to grow. I wish to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me, and thrust my sprouts through the earth’s crust above me. I want to unfurl my tender buds like banners to announce the arrival of spring. I want to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and the blessing of the morning dew on my petals."

And now she grew.

the second seed said, "l do not know what I want. I'm afraid if l send my roots into the ground below, I don't know what I will encounter in the dark. lf l push my way through the hard soil above me, I may damage my delicate sprouts. What if I let my buds open and a snail tries to eat them? And what if I was to open my blossoms, a small child may pull me from the ground. No, it is much better for me to wait until it is safe."

And so she waited.

A hen scratching around in the early spring ground for food found the waiting seed and
promptly
ate it.

 Rhetorical devices:
                       
·        Metaphor: the fertile spring soil ( the same environment), Two Seeds ( two people, two choices), the dark ( the risks and difficulties ), grew ( succeeded) , was eaten
( failed)
·        Message: Those of us who have  goals and dreams will grow and prosper.
Those of us who refuse to risk and grow will get swallowed up by life.

Sources:
2.      




3 comments:

  1. Hi Hien, here after is my few comments:
    - Item 2: I think the message from that cartoon picture story is furthermore: Do never disdain the offer of help of whom have no power and position as well. Maybe they aren't as talented as other people, but they are ready to help whenever those ones have troubles as possible. So, just treat the normal people in soceity well and respect for them as ourselves, then you also recieve those things from them.
    - Item 3: That's interesting story. But, according to me, the message can be understood deeperly. Don't hesitate to face the difficulties as well as challenges in the life. Only by overcoming those ones, we just grow up and gain success as we expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some comment on your entry 3.
    1. I think the fertile spring soil is life with many chances for us to develop.
    2. in the message, facing with difficulties and challenges will help us grow more quickly in the life. Don't afraid failure
    Commented by Hoang Thuy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Hien,
    I'm very interested in your entry, especially the Story of two seeds. Besides, I would like to add some my ideas for the item 3. In my point of view:
    Rhetorical devices: Metaphor( fertile spring soil- opportunities in life)
    Message: Success comes to only people who dare to dream, catch the opportunities and make efforts to make their desire become true.
    Well-done!

    ReplyDelete