Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Entry 1 _ Hoang Thi Bich Hong


ITEM 1: POEM
I Will Be Here
by Nicole George
Whenever you're sad,
or feeling blue,
Just call on me.
I'll be here for you.

Whenever you're happy,
or feeling sad,
Just call on me.
You are going to be glad that you had.

'Cause I'm gonna be there
with open arms.
I'm going to be there
to bear your arms.

I may be young,
or tiny like a bug,
but when you're sad
I swear to God,
I give the biggest hugs.

So when you're lonely
or just plain blue,
Just think of me,
or this poem,
And I'll come to you.
Rhetorical devices:
  •   Parallelism: in the two first cantos of poem, it starts “Whenever you're … or …” then gives solution and result.
  •  Repetition: “Whenever you're”, “Just call on me”, “I”, “you”, “I'm going to be there”
  •   Rhyme:
o   Internal rhyme: Whenever you're happy, or feeling sad
                         You are going to be glad that you had.
o   Terminal rhyme: I may be young or tiny like a bug - but when you're sad, I give the biggest hugs.
o   Imperfect rhyme: there - bear
Message:
 Praise for a good friendship with the best friends who are willing to share everything together

ITEM 2: PARABLES
The two roosters and the eagle
Collected by Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy
Two roosters were fighting by a heap of dung .One rooster was stronger than the other. He fought the other rooster and drove him away from the dung. The hens crowded round the rooster and praised him.
The rooster wanted everyone in the neighbouring yard to hear of his strength and prowess. So he flew up onto the shed, flapped his wings and cried out:
" Look at me, everyone. I beat a rooster! There is no other rooster in the world as strong as me."
At the moment, an eagle flew up, knocked the rooster down, dug his claws into him and carried him off to his nest.

Rhetorical devices:
  •   Metaphor: the rooster which won implies those who is overconfident and exaggerated.
                            the eagle implies stronger person who we don't expect 
  •    Irony: One rooster beat the other contrast with his fail in that the eagle knocked the rooster down, dug his claws into him and carried him off to his nest.
Messages:
Don’t have an exaggerated opinion of your own importance because you may be stronger than other people, but the other else can be stronger than you.

ITEM 3: CARTOON
Enviroment polllution




Rhetorical questions:
  •      Symbol: black hand as the symbol of air pollution
                          The globl as the symbol of the Earth
  •      Metaphor: the balance of the Earth is just a rope so it is easy to destroy, while the chimneys of factory is continuing to breath smoke which directly takes bad effect on the Earth.
  •      Metonymy: black hand also imply people, therefore, it’s people that they cause air pollution.
Message:
If people continue to cause the air pollution, the Earth is going to lose the balance.

sources of 3 items: 
(1) http://100-poems.com/poems/friendship/0293002.htm
(2) Source: http://bacbaphi.com.vn/entertainment/showthread.php/70142-Learn-English-through-parables-  H%E1%BB%8Dc-ti%E1%BA%BFng-Anh-qua-truy%E1%BB%87n-ng%E1%BB%A5-ng%C3%B4n
(3) https://www.google.com.vn/search?q=tranh+biem+hoa+ve+o+nhiem+moi+truong&hl=vi&newwindow=1&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=npIQUYirAuuiiAfy2IHICA&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1092&bih=514#hl=vi&newwindow=1&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=tranh+bi%E1%BA%BFm+h%E1%BB%8Da+m%C3%B4i+tr%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Dng&oq=tranh+bi%E1%BA%BFm+h%E1%BB%8Da+m%C3%B4i+tr%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Dng&gs_l=img.3..0i24.342932.345231.2.345991.11.11.0.0.0.0.563.2125.5j1j2j2j0j1.11.0...0.0...1c.1.2.img.nOILjhxT-GE&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41867550,d.aGc&fp=c48bb32ce33b6014&biw=1092&bih=514



5 comments:

  1. I quite agree with you on the messages in item 1 and 3, but I think there are some matters with item 2.
    First, could you explain metaphor in more details? you only point out that " it implies that the roosters, the eagle and the hens are people" but I don't know what kind of people they are.
    Second, in my opinion, the message is that people may have to suffer disaster if they boast too much about themselves. In other words, this story focuses on the importance of modesty in the life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hong, after reaing your entry, I have some comments below:

    Item 1: in this item, I mostly agree with your rhetorical devices as well as the message. The poem is so cute and brightly. I love it <3

    Item 2: This item will be better if you make the rhetorical devices clearer. For example, with the Metaphor, you should clarify what kinds of people who are represented by the rooster, the eagle and the hens. And I don't understand your second devices: Irony. I think you should use more words except for some words in the story to make your message as well as your explaination clearer. So that it'll be easy to catch your ideas.

    Item 3: for whole this item, I mostly agree with you. I just have a small comment for you. I think this picture doesn't mention to the air pollution only. It can be the enviroment pollution which is the hot issue nowadays. And this is the threats on our Earth. The Earth is not only losing its balance but also disappearing from the universe.

    This is my comment. Thanks for reading it. Feel free to ask me if any point isn't clear. :)


    ReplyDelete
  3. dear Hong,
    after reading your entry, I have some comments for you:
    item 1: the item is a look of deep significance about good friendship. It is also simple and easy for us to comprehend. I'd like your message through that poem.
    item 2: in my opinion, this item is not likely enough for everyone to get the parable's message completely. Both the metaphors and irony should be describe and detail deeply.
    item 3: in general, it is quite good because of the picture's clearness. It comes as no surprise for humans that this problem is caused by not only each person but also all people on the Earth.
    in brief, I like item 1 the most.=))

    (Nguyen Thi Hong Quynh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I sent great thanks to you because of your useful comments. I considered what you said, so I would add more information to item 2 for my revise.

    ReplyDelete