Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Entry 1 - Hoàng Thu Thảo

                                       Item1: CARTOON



Rhetorical devices:
-  Metaphor:
+ The heart: the way people consider a thing with so much natural feelings, which is deep down from their souls about anything in life (love, friendship, family, ...)
+ The brain: the way people consider a thing logical and tactical.

=> Message: In our life, it seems to be hard at times to decide when to use your heart and when to use your brain. Both of them are necessary, and they exist in parallel in each of people. The problem is, the heart is weak and easy to be hurt while the brain is strong and smart. As a result, we have to learn how to balance between the heart and the brain, and when to let each of them lead your thoughts in order to fulfill your life. 

Source: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=509821142394192&set=a.107721205937523.4759.106957926013851&type=1&ref=nf

Item2: SONG

"I Won't Give Up"

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well, there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

Well, I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up

I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use
The tools and gifts we got, yeah, we got a lot at stake
And in the end, you're still my friend at least we did intend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not, and who I am

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up, still looking up.

Well, I won't give up on us (no I'm not giving up)
God knows I'm tough enough (I am tough, I am loved)
We've got a lot to learn (we're alive, we are loved)
God knows we're worth it (and we're worth it)

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up



Rhetorical devices:
1/ Rhyme 
+ Terminal rhyme: eyes - sky - rise, hold - sold, stars - far - are, us - rough - love - up, navigating - waiting, burn - earth - learn, make - stake
 + Internal rhyme: 
Well, there's so much they hold, 
How old is your soul?, 
And in the end, you're still my friend at least we did intend,
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not, and who I am,

2/ Simile: 
When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well, there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far..

3/ Symbol: 
+ the skies get rough (difficulties, obstacles, ...)
+ God: the destination.

4/ Overstatement:  
'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
 
=> Message: In life, there are many difficulties that force you to cope with. No matter how hard they are, love will give you strength to overcome all. Even when life gives you thousand reasons to give up, show that you are both tough enough to keep holding on and moving forward. Instead of giving up, think positive, learn and stand together. That's your life, your destiny and you are the only one to decide how it would be.

Source: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jasonmraz/iwontgiveup.html

Item3: STORY

         In ancient times, a king had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the king’s wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it.
          Many loudly blamed the king for not keeping the roads clear, but none did anything about getting the big stone out of the way. Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables.On approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded. As the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying in the road where the boulder had been.
         The purse contained many gold coins and a note from the king indicating that the gold was for the person who removed the boulder from the roadway. The peasant learned what many others never understand.

Rhetorical devices:
- Metaphor: 
+ The huge rock: the obstacle in our path.
+ Gold: the present for the good person that accepts the challenge. 
 => Message: In life, people will face many obstacles. Even though they are big or small, almost all people normally choose to ignore them or just run away. They just don't want to waste time trying to do something without seeing the result first. However, every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve one’s condition. If you don't try, you'll never know what you can do. It depends on ourselves to capture that chance and take a step to change, or just skip it and no miracle happens.  
Source: http://w-kids.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-obstacle-in-our-path.html



4 comments:

  1. Hi, Thao. here are some of my comments:
    in second item, i have heard this song many times and enjoy it. its melody seems to be slow and sad, but meaningful. it's about not only love but also life. we shoudl never give up.
    "I won't give up. i don't want to be someone who easily walks away." that's right of couse i will do this by all life.
    commented by : Bui Thi Loan

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, item 2 has another rhetorical device that you didn't mention, it is repetition: " I won't give up on us
    Even if the skies get rough
    I'm giving you all my love
    I'm still looking up, still looking up."
    Commented by Hoang Thuy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thao. After reading all the items in your entry 1, I have some comments for you:

    • Item 1: This cartoon is so interesting and meaningful. I totally agree with you on the rhetorical devices and the message you gave. However, from my perspective, the message of any poems, stories, cartoons, etc. should be from 1 to 2 sentences only. All of your messages in 3 items are so long, therefore you should shorten it and make it more concise.

    • Item 2: You did a very good job! All the rhetorical devices and the message you found are very detailed.

    • From my point of view, the rhetorical device that is symbol is not correct. Instead, it should be metaphor because only in this song, “the skies get rough” and God stand for difficulties and destination as you gave.
    • I found one more rhetorical device in this item: Repetition: “I won't give up on us”, “Even if the skies get rough”, “I'm giving you all my love”, “I'm still looking up”, “God knows”.
    • About the message, you should shorten it.

    • Item 3: This story is so meaningful. I really like it. I agree with you on the rhetorical devices and the message you found. However, you should make the message more concise and shorter.

    In general, you did a good job! Hope my comments will be useful for you. Keep practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gắn bi vào bộ phận sinh dục, cậu nhỏ hay thô 1 chút là gắn bi vào cu hiện đang trở thành hiện tượng trong giới trẻ. địa chỉ gắn bi dương vật bao nhiêu tiền ở tphcm
    Cách lựa chọn địa chỉ lắp bi vào của quý ... Có đánh giá về các yếu tố kể trên sẽ giúp nam giới biết được đâu là địa chỉ lắp bi vào dương vật hiệu quả, an toàn . đeo bi cho cậu nhỏ bao nhiêu tiền ở tphcm
    Địa chỉ gắn bi dương vật bao nhiêu tiền tại tphcm để giúp nam giới giãi tỏa những thắc mắc đó, các bác sĩ chuyên khoa cấy găm bi vào của quý đẹp an toàn bao nhiêu tiền ở tphcm
    Trẻ em bị nhiễm viêm gan B từ bé rất dễ bị suy gan ở tuổi trưởng thành. ... Vacxin là để phòng bệnh, nghĩa là chỉ thực hiện trên những đối tượng chưa hề bị dịch vụ gắn bi vào dương vật bao nhiêu tiền ở tphcm
    Biểu hiện tiêu biểu mà khi mắc ai cũng nghĩ mình bị nóng gan là mụn nhọt, mẩn ngứa. Nhưng sau khi khám & xét nghiệm loại bỏ các nguyên nhân rối loạn nội tiết cấy bi vào bộ phận sinh dục bao nhiêu tiền ở tphcm

    công ty rut hầm cầu giá rẻ trực tuyến có website là http://congtyhuthamcau.info/ xem giá rút hầm cầu trực tiếp tại đây

    Nếu còn thắc mắc hay cần được tư vấn về bệnh bạch biến có lây không và cách phòng ngừa bệnh, mời bạn liên hệ với chúng tôi theo địa chỉ dưới đây để được hỗ trợ tốt nhất cách điều trị bệnh bạch biến

    Những thông tin hay về các bệnh đa khoa có tại https://dakhoa-tphcm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete